Are you unsure of the travel documents needed for you to travel by plane?

Air travel is a highly regulated service nowadays, and the proper travel documents are needed to get on the plane. According to the TSA, a valid driver’s license or state photo ID card is the preferred form of primary identification, but there are other forms of secondary identification that can be used.

Forms of ID Accepted for Adults

Though driver’s licenses and passports are the most commonly used, they aren’t the only accepted forms of ID. Passport cards, military IDs, permanent resident cards, foreign issued IDs, and residential ID cards are accepted as secondary forms of identification.

Forms of ID Accepted for Minors

Identification is not usually required for minors traveling by plane, but it is a good idea for them or their guardian to carry a copy of their birth certificate or a school ID.

No Legal Travel Documents or Identification?

As stated on the Transport Security Administration website, if you lose, forget, or do not have your ID, you will not be able to fly unless you can prove your identity. In this instance, you’ll have to fill out a form with your name and address and be able to verify your identity. All forms of identification must be government issued.

If you would like more information on how to secure a second form of legal identification in order to have an easier time with the flying process, please visit our About Us page.